600HP, 750A, Motor Protection Filter, open chasis, 480V, V1K750A00
V1k provides Motor Protection by limiting voltage spokes below 1,000 volts for long lead applications.
- Greatly extends the life of the motor and cable
- Specific applications can reach 3,000 feet
- 30% reduction in common mode current
The V1k is the newest generation of the KLC dv/dt filter series. V1k filters are UL Listed and available from EmotronDirect in Open, Type 1 and Type 3R packaging configurations.
TYPICAL PROBLEMS, SUPERIOR SOLUTIONS WITH V1K
As Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) Drives are incorporated into various applications and processes, the increased energy savings and decreased maintenance on Drives can be offset by increases in motor failures.
The KLC-Series V1k product family has been designed as an engineered solution for motor failures due to the reflected wave phenomenon.
REFLECTIVE WAVE PHENOMENON
Voltage wave reflection is a function of the voltage rise time (dv/dt) and the length of the motor cables.
The impedance on either end of the cable run does not match, causing voltage pulses to be reflected back in the direction from which it arrived. As these reflected waves encounter other waves, their values add, causing higher peak voltage.
As wire length or carrier frequency increases, the overshoot peak voltage also increases.
Peak Voltages on a 460V system can reach 1200 to 1600V, causing rapid breakdown of motor insulation, leading to motor failure. On 575V systems, the peak voltages can easily reach 2100V. If this is left uncontrolled, insulation failure may occur.
MITIGATE REFLECTIVE WAVE
By combining a patented dampening circuit with a low pass filter, V1k filters:
- Increase the voltage rise time (dt out of dv/dt)
- Prevent voltage spikes from exceeding 1,000 V
- Slow pulse transitions, reduce dv/dt
- Protect motor and cable insulation
Voltage w/o V1k
Harmonic Current w/ KDR
REDUCES COMMON MODE MOTOR AND BEARING CURRENTS
Common Mode current, which leads to bearing pitting and bearing fluting, is reduced by a minimum of 30%. V1k filters:
- Slow down the pulse dv/dt by a factor of 3, reducing the harmful common mode currents
- Increase bearing life and up-time
- Reduce common mode noise and currents
Common Mode w/o V1k
Common Mode w/ V1k
The V1k prevents voltage spikes from exceeding 1,000 V up to 2,000 feet and limits dv/dt to less than 1,000 V/ μs. The product has been used successfully in applications up to 3,000 feet depending on cable and VFD sizes.
MULTIPLE MOTOR APPLICATIONS - CONFIGURATION GUIDELINES
- Provide sufficient ventilation
- Mount the unit within ten (wife) feet from the drive
- Ensure the VFD's carrier frequency is set to 4 kHz or below and the operating frequency is set to 60 Hz or below
- Connect VFD output leads to the A1, B1, and C1 terminations of the V1k unit. A2, B2, and C2 service the wire to the motor.
- The length of each motor lead should be less than 500 feet and the sum total of all the leads should be less than 1,500 feet
- The total number of motors should be 10 or below
|Product Series/Model #||V1K750A00|
|Enclosure Rating||open chasis|
|Dimensions (H x W x D)||12.75 x 15 x 14.75 in.|
|Max. Altitude||2,000 meters (6,000 feet); De-rating necessary above 2,000 meters|
|Carrier Frequency||2 - 4 kHz|
|Fundamental Frequency||0 - 60 Hz (consult EmotronDirect for applications over 6 kHz and/or 6- - 120 Hz fundamental if the cable lengths don't exceed 400 feet)|
|Insulation Rating||600V Class|
|Insulation Class||Class H (180°C) or Class R (220°C)|
|Ambient Temperature||40° C (104° F)|
|Short-Term Overload Rating||Tolerate 200% rated I for a minimum of 3 minutes|
|Lead Length||Specific applications can reach 3,000 feet (consult factory for applications above 1,500 feet)|